question

Toby Massey avatar image
Toby Massey asked

Feature Request - To be able to add written commands to routines

Hi,

If I ask Alex to do something, she seems to interpret what I say into written words and then interprets the actions to carry out from those written words. Routines would be great if you could just type the commands you want to happen. For example currently there is no way to set a sleep timer by routine, but if i could just type "Stop playing in 2 hours" then that would leverage the process Alexa already uses, and add the exact same functionality to routines as Alexa has with spoken commands.

routines
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Anand@Amazon avatar image
Anand@Amazon answered

Hello Toby,

Providing commands through text will defeat the whole purpose of alexa voice system. But I will request you to raise feature request here.

1 comment

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello, i believe you didn't understand, check his next answer, i have the same issue, i want to add custom actions to routines. Like tell my calendar for today.

1 Like 1 ·
Toby Massey avatar image
Toby Massey answered

Anand,

Thanks, I have submitted via the link.

"Providing commands through text will defeat the whole purpose of alexa voice system."

Respectfully, by that logic routines are not required at all as everything a routine does can be done via voice control. I think routines are helpful because they allow 1 voice command to do a number of task, but routines do not allow everything to be done. For example routines cannot currently access IFTTT or set a sleep timer. If routines could interpret text commands then 1 voice command could trigger a host of actions. This would be tapping into the current Alexa logic and mean there is no need for individual programming of each skill to be integrated into routines.

The specific problem I am trying to solve is when I go to sleep I want to say " Night night" and the following happen:

1. Turn off lights via z wave controller "Alexa, turn on Lights Night."

2. Play some music "Alexa, play the playlist Sleep from spotify."

3. Turn the heating down via IFTTT "Alexa, trigger Heating Off."

4. Set a sleep timer for 2 hours. "Alexa, stop playing in 2 hours."

Currently only the first 2 of the above can be achieved by a routine, unless you know of another way?

I am sure many other users face the same frustration.

Thanks

Toby