question

mubeta avatar image
mubeta asked

Video Skill Not Detected By Alexa

I am attempting to create a video skill. I have setup my lambda function in us-east-1. I appear to have successfully setup account linking for the skill. I am able to through both the alexa app and https://alexa.amazon.com enable the skill and the oauth account linking process succeeds. I then close the window as instructed and Alexa attempts to find devices. After the modal dialog for searching for devices is done I am thrown into a blank screen. I see in my CloudWatch Logs that indeed there is a Discovery Request which I service with the Alexa.RemoteVideoPlayer capability. I see no other attempt to trigger my lambda beyond the initial discover trigger. Whilst my device does not show up in the screen directly after enabling the skill my device does show up in the Alexa App under the Smart Home >> Device menu. I inspected the source for the blank page and found a series of unhandled javascript errors such as the following:

Uncaught Error: Failed to find matching videoSkill for skillId: amzn1.ask.skill.abc1234-da15-4620-9051-87bd8btuvxyz and skillStage: development
    at e.getVideoSkillFromSkillIdAndStage (f4c02-app.min.js:2173)
    at e.initializeComponents (f4c02-app.min.js:2177)
    at Array.<anonymous> (f4c02-app.min.js:2176)
    at z (e61a8-deps.min.js:102)
    at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (e61a8-deps.min.js:103)
    at Array.<anonymous> (e61a8-deps.min.js:105)
    at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (e61a8-deps.min.js:103)
    at Object.<anonymous> (e61a8-deps.min.js:106)

The "skillId" would appear to match the very skill I am hoping to get operational. I also noted that my previous attempts of creating video skills present as uncaught error too.

Some additional information. I am based in Australia. I have successfully developed a Smart Home Skill in the past just not a Video Skill. I noticed in the Test tab of my skill in the manual JSON subtab I have no option to 'Select Region Endpoint' (this smell fishy to me).

video skill api
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

mubeta avatar image
mubeta answered

Diabolical. This is the answer https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/74607/how-to-make-the-video-skill-api-tutorial-work.html.

Amazon dev's you really should fix your flaky console software / documentation to provide developers with a little guidance when things don't go right... Who would have thought uploading an icon would allow one to test a dev skill.

1 comment
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi mubeta,

After adding the icon also iam facing the same issue. Any other solution.

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·