question

newuser-82b6415d-4b9e-4b45-a4b8-93fb0eeb240d avatar image

How Alexa skill intent selection works for similar type of samples

Hi I am working on the skill, and observing some wierd behaviour in intent selection by Alexa skill. I have one intent sayPrevent, with sample like "Can {this} behaviour be prevented" , now when I provide other statement like "Can {this} behaviour be inherited", it should go to unhandled intent, but it is going to sayPrevent intent , any idea why this is happening....

alexa skills kitskillmobile adsintentsinteraction model
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

ppollmanns avatar image
ppollmanns answered

Hi,

yes, it happens because both utterances have the same length and length is (from my experience) a relatively strongly weighted feature for alexa's 'intuition' about how an utterance should be classified. If you'd ask yourself now 'can this behaviour be prevented' (:-)) then yes, but with a little bit of effort and probably not with guaranteed success. You would have to create a separate 'CatchAll' Intent that has sample utterances of various lengths and then Alexa would probably put your "Can {this} behauviour be inherited" into this CatchAll-Intent. This could then be handled by your 'Unhandled Intent'-Handler.

I guess you will have to experiment a little but that's part of the fun, isn't it? :-)

Good luck,

Peter

10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.