question

fancybits avatar image
fancybits asked

MediaCodec decoder issues on FTV3 (AFTN)

I have a MediaCodec based decoder/player that works great on every single Android TV and Fire TV device I've tried, except the AFTN. Two major issues I've noticed:

- The decoders require atleast 2 seconds of video data to be enqueued before they start decoding reliably. I have written this up in more detail with some reproduction code in https://github.com/amzn/exoplayer-amazon-port/issues/42

- Rendering decoded frames to an OpenGL texture (i.e. decoding to a Surface backed by a SurfaceTexture, then using SurfaceTexture.updateTexImage() to map a decoded frame to a gpu texture) is not performant, making 60fps playback impossible. This opengl based rendering method works just fine on AFTS/AFTB/AFTT, but not on AFTN.

Are these known issues? What is the best place to report these so that they may be fixed.

fire tvvideoapp
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered

Hi fancybits,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The Fire TV team is investigating the first issue. The second issue should be fixed in the next OS update -- please keep an eye on your Fire TV device updates. Thanks!

1 comment
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The system OTA update for the second item has been released. It should be addressed in build 1196. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·