question

piotrek avatar image
piotrek asked

What is the use of smart home skill type other?

I would like to know what is the use of "Other" type for smart home.I would like my skill to control the blinds. I know that smart home skill does not support this type, can Other type help me with this? I will need two sliders for a given device to control the angle of inclination and the position of the blind (percent value). Is it possible to create this skill via AWS Lamda and discover in app?

skillalexa smart homesmart home
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Anand@Amazon avatar image
Anand@Amazon answered

Thanks for the great feature request. I'd suggest posting this as a feature request in our ideas space here .

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

piotrek avatar image
piotrek answered

you don't answer my question. In documentation i can't find anything about type "Other". Can you tell me what was the "Other" type created for?

3 comments
10 |5000

Hello piotrek,

Sorry for late reply !!
Can you tell me where you are seeing this "other" option for smart home skills?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hello Anand,

Please look at: https://github.com/alexa/alexa-smarthome/blob/master/sample_messages/Discovery/Discovery.response.json and search for OTHER in "displayCategories". The OTHER is allowed type so why I could not find anything about this type in documentation?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hello piotrek,

Thanks for posting !!!

Values in Display Categories means that your endpoint will display in the correct category in the alexa app, with the correct iconography. This make it easier for customer to find and monitor your devices.

"Other" - An endpoint that cannot be described on other categories like "Camera, Door, Light, Microwave, Smart Lock, Smart Plug, Speaker, Switch, Thermostat, TV, Temperature_Sensor, Scene_Trigger and Activity_Triggger.

Check this link for more details.

0 Likes 0 ·