question

Freddyw9 avatar image
Freddyw9 asked ·

How can I stop a fire tv app from exiting to the main menu after 10 minutes

I am currently building an application using Unity for the Fire Stick that I need to run until it gets shut off. I'm running into a problem where the app shuts off and returns to the main menu after what seems like 15 minutes. I've added a WAKE_LOCK to the app to stop it from powering down and I've disabled the screen saver but it's still exiting to the main menu. If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it.

fire tvandroidfire app builderunity
1 comment
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi Freddyw9,

It sounds like a error is causing your app to crash. Can you please provide any logs that you have from when the app exits and returns to the home screen?

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

wishie avatar image
wishie answered ·

I feel bad about reopening a 2 year old post.. but, I am facing the same issue.

I have written an app that works without issue on the Android Emulator, and Android TV, but seems to close after 10-15 minutes or so.. when connected to Android Studio, I see nothing in the logs about a crash.

I thought it might have been related to the 'screen_timeout' setting, which Amazon decided to remove/hide from the UI, but I changed it's value via ADB shell, and still have the issue.

Is there ANY more information on what could be causing the FireTV Stick to behave this way?

I have not yet tried WAKE_LOCK, but I did add

getWindow().addFlags(WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_KEEP_SCREEN_ON);

to my activity onCreate() to specify to keep the screen on.

10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.