question

Daan avatar image
Daan asked ·

Video Skill stream own content to Smart TV

Hi,

I have been wondering if it is possible to stream our own content to a Smart TV. Looking around in the docs, I did not find a conclusive answer for this. I have a custom skill, but it does not seem to support the right directives for this? I would build a Video Skill as well, if this would work.

How it should work: the user says "Alexa, play {content}", where the Lambda function handles the search for content in our API and fetches an m3u8 link and send this link in the response to a supported media device/FireTV.

Is this at all possible?

alexa skills kitfire tvvideo skill api
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Jamie@Amazon avatar image
Jamie@Amazon answered ·

Hi there,

If you would like to play your own content, a Video Skill is the way to go. I'd suggest checking out some of our documentation over here; it's also possible to ingest your own content into the platform as mentioned here. Trying to play a .m3u8 is more for the VideoApp service though which allows you to play content on the screen of the same device, whereas this API is more about playing it on connected device (ie. TV).

Regards,

Jamie

10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.