question

videva avatar image
videva asked

Inconsistency between the Emulator and Test Services

When I run my app on the Emulator (after matching it with Fire Phone based on your documentation), I get a status bar at the top and a navigation bar at the bottom. However, when I test the same app on real Fire Phone through Amazon Test Services, I get neither a Status bar nor a Navigation Bar. So, should we assume both don't present by default on Fire Phone!?
fire phone
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Kevin@Amazon avatar image
Kevin@Amazon answered
Hi Videva, I am going to assume you are trying to build a Fire Phone AVD based on the phone specs, this will not work well I’m afraid. The Fire Phone has a custom UX that is nothing like the standard Android experience, the normal status and nav bars are not there. You can get a good approximation with the Gradle based (Android Studio), and the Live App Testing service is an exact match for what your app will actually look and function like – it is literally run on a real device in realtime and what you receive are actual screenshots.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

DrHenley avatar image
DrHenley answered
There are so many inconsistencies between the emulator and the actual device for Fire devices, I gave up trying to even test on the emulator. I used a Nexus 4 as a test device for my Fire Phone app. Once I received my Fire Phone yesterday, I was able to get the app up and running on the Fire Phone fairly quickly with only minor changes and had the Fire Phone compatible version uploaded before I went to bed last night. And BTW the app went live this morning - [b][i]THANKS FOR FAST TRACKING IT AMAZON!!!! [/i][/b]
10 |5000

Kevin@Amazon avatar image
Kevin@Amazon answered
Hi DrHenley, We would agree with you, the Fire Phone API simulator has many limitations and for actual development nothing will be as useful as the actual device. https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-phone/docs/using-the-api-simulator-tool#Known%20Limitations Simulating hardware is very challenging for an emulator, and the more complex the platform, the more limitations are encountered. For example, the head tracking cameras that make Dynamic Perspective possible, the accelerometers that make auto scrolling possible, etc. – This is extremely challenging to recreate in an AVD. For actual testing of your Fire Phone app we do have an excellent solution however – App Testing Service. You just drag and drop your Android APK and receive feedback on your app's compatibility in a couple minutes. Your app is tested on an actual Fire Phone build and we send you results, screenshots and stacktraces for any issues directly to your e-mail account. https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-phone#ATS We are happy to see your app Live in the Appstore on the Fire Phone!
10 |5000