question

gedu07 avatar image
gedu07 asked

Why I can't use the WIFI_SERVICE while the parent control is on?

Hi, I made my own wifi settings, but when I activate the parent control and login with the kid, the activity which show up all the networks isn't launched

I think because I'm trying to use this: mWifiManager = (WifiManager) getSystemService(Context.WIFI_SERVICE);

Is there a workaround for displaying and connecting to wifi networks using my wifi settings?

Thanks

fire tablet
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered
Hi, Please note that Wireless connectivity is included in the list of restrictions when Parental Controls are enabled, see here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201540610 You may want to try to fine tune the setting in the Parental Controls screen on your device (the 'Password Protection' section) and see if it works, otherwise please share your activity's source code (you can use the Contact Us form in your dev portal account). Thanks!
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

gedu07 avatar image
gedu07 answered
Hi thanks for the reply, and what about the Kids' mode? If I set a family profile and add to the kid profile my app,the activity shows up, but the wifi scan never starts. And If I click my scan button also nothing happens. mWifiManager = (WifiManager) getSystemService(Context.WIFI_SERVICE); ListView listView = (ListView) findViewById(R.id.network_list); mNetAdapter = new NetAdapter(this); listView.setAdapter(mNetAdapter); fab.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener() { @Override public void onClick(View view) { startWifiScan(); } }); if (savedInstanceState == null) startWifiScan(); thanks
10 |5000

Levon@Amazon answered
Thanks gedu07, Kids Safe Mode is a restricted profile and as such should not really have access to various system settings, which Wi-Fi is a part of. Is there any reason you want to grant access to Wi-Fi from a restricted profile? Wouldn't it be better if the parent / main profile configure those settings, and child / restricted profile simply use the app? I will conduct some further research around Kids Mode and will update this thread if I find anything relevant to your use case. Thanks!
10 |5000

gedu07 avatar image
gedu07 answered
Thanks Levon, The issue for us is: we are giving kindle fires to a classroom which the teachers will setup to use our app. So if the teacher start that restricted mode and the student get the Kindle with him at home, he won't be able to add a new wifi network cos will be locked. So If inside of our app can give them the chance to open a basic wifi settings to just search and connect will be awesome. If not the teacher must to talk to the parent give him the password so later he can add the new network at home. Thanks and any extra information will be welcome
10 |5000

gedu07 avatar image
gedu07 answered

Hi, any new about this, thanks

10 |5000

Levon@Amazon answered

Hi there,

I haven't heard of any changes in this regard. However, could you please post the snippet of code that you use to launch your custom activity, also code around the getSystemService() function call, and also the code from that custom activity's onCreate() and onStart() callbacks (the activity that shows networks). In addition to those snippets of source code, have you looked into your log files to see if there are any specific error messages that occur when any of that code is executed -- could you also post log output around those function calls.

If you prefer not to share the code on public forums, for privacy please login to your Dev Portal account and there use Contact Us to send that over: https://developer.amazon.com/help/contact-us.html Thanks!

10 |5000