question

G. Reno avatar image
G. Reno asked ·

Problem taking screenshot using screencap utility

I'm trying to take some screen shots of the firetv using the screencap utility mentioned at the bottom of this page: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv/docs/amazon-fire-tv-sdk-frequently-asked-questions My app runs in the background will product popup notification on whatever the user is watchingon the FireTV. I am able to take a screen shot and view it successfully if it's the home screen, but if I take a screencap of anything with the popup notification, including the home screen, the resulting png file is unreadable by any graphic program I try. The file size is about 8 megs, so it's getting something. Same issue if I take a screencap with a movie playing and there is a popup notification. Any suggestions? -Gregg
fire tvsubmission testing distribution
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

G. Reno avatar image
G. Reno answered ·
Still waiting on a reply from Amazon on this. Can you confirm this is a known issue? -Gregg

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Mark Sebesta avatar image
Mark Sebesta answered ·
I found a solution to this issue. Use the following one liner: adb shell screencap -p | sed 's/\r$//' > /android/screen.png This will dump a file into your C:/android/ directory. Here is where the info comes from: http://blog.shvetsov.com/2013/02/grab-android-screenshot-to-computer-via.html The issue is that the file that's outputting has some odd caracters that my line removes.

Bipin@Amazon avatar image
Bipin@Amazon answered ·
Hi, I am able to open the image after the image is pulled to PC. the captured image can also be opened in the image view in the application. I could not generated a unreadable or corrupted image while capturing with or without pop message. Can give me the steps to capture this unreadable/corrupted image. Can let me know the graphics program you talking about.

G. Reno avatar image
G. Reno answered ·
I'm not sure if there was a firmware fix for this, but everything seems to be working now. I can do a screen capture with or without a notification displayed, even without using Mark's solution. Thanks, -Gregg