question

William O. avatar image
William O. asked

Video in Amazon Webview

I have been working on an update to my app and got stuck on one last piece that needs to be looked at. My issue is with video inside amazon webview. As far as chromium goes i have no issue with video. Also in android 4.4 on up, i have no issues. Even all the browser i dont have issues. They all work with out issue. Even projects like crosswalk work with video. So this pretty much tells me something is an issue with amazon webview. Also i am sending the right mine/type and everything so thats not the issue as well. If you dont mind take a look and see if I'm missing anything. The video is coming from jwplayer and we see errors thrown but no other browser is throwing the error so something in amazon webview is causing the error. Also please look at this asap i have been on this forum and sometime never get responses. The apk file to use is at this location for your test if needed http://www.scottsdigitalsignage.com/test/MyRisePlayerAMZ%20Test.apk and the id to use for the testing for the player settings is XNY7U99SG47C Message was edited by: William O.
fire tv
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Evgeniy avatar image
Evgeniy answered
Seems you have same problem that me https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=4684&tstart=0 Unfortunately, no answer from support Message was edited by: Evgeniy
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

William O. avatar image
William O. answered
Yea well I'm hoping they will review this because there is obviously an issue with video in there webview. It would also be great if they would look into this issue and give us at Least something to go by. I used another webview source and got video but I wanted amazons webview due to the file size and issues with ram. Hopefully they will say we are going to fire os4 on these device in the future. then I could just use the device webview becsuse webview would be better than os3.
10 |5000

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Hi all, I'm currently looking into this and hope to have some further information shortly. To help me diagnose this issue, can you give some details on the resolution, framerate, and encoding of videos you are seeing this on, or is it all videos in a html5 tag?
10 |5000

William O. avatar image
William O. answered
It doesn't matter what videos I use. I have used all different formats of MP4 and webm. The one that I'm using in the presentation is MP4 and it's just a standard one that I use for testing that always works for me on all devices. I first thought the reason it wouldn't play was my cache for video but when I turned it off and let it stream from Internet i got the same errors. My next thought was mime type and everything there looks right including the server sending the correct mime type. The only thing I can think of is that jwplayer and the Amazon media player isn't communication correctly to play. The errors that I'm see that come from jwplayer indicate mime type issues from all the forums I read but if all other webview and browsers can play it then why is it an issue with this one. The one I have on the App Store, My Rise Player has another webview in it and plays the video. The link in the above conversation has Amazon webview and gets an error. Also what version of chromium is webview using? This might help me if I find a solution on the html side of things. Thanks
10 |5000

Nick Gardner answered
Thanks for the further info, I'll continue to look into it. To answer your other question, AmazonWebView uses Chromium v34.
10 |5000

William O. avatar image
William O. answered
I have used a webview with v34 and it worked fine so its something with amazon webview. I also am working with a v37 version thats not having any issue at all. I am wondering if there is going to be an update to amazon webview to something like v37? Anyway i am checking in on this because this is very important to my company and if there is no way to fix the issue, then i will use another webview library.
10 |5000

William O. avatar image
William O. answered
What is the status on this? Please provide me with an update........
10 |5000

Nick Gardner answered
Hi, We're still working on this, I'll post and update when I have more information to share.
10 |5000

William O. avatar image
William O. answered
I think the issue is with ajax. It seems like I always get errors when using ajax which my video is using to send video to be downloaded to cache. I have no issues with other webviews on this, so I have gotten to the root of the issue. Please look into this and fix.
10 |5000

William O. avatar image
William O. answered
I actually can confirm that jquery ajax is not working at all on amazon web view. When i send the message to sever, I am not even getting a hit to the server. Its like the web view stops it before it even has a chance to respond. I would like this to be looked at i have been waiting for a response on this matter for sometime. Here are the file location and the id to take a look at what I'm seeing. I need this working because the stick is limited to 1gb and all other web views take a lot of memory to run. The apk file to use is at this location for your test if needed http://www.scottsdigitalsignage.com/test/MyRisePlayerAMZ.apk and the id to use for the testing for the player settings is XNY7U99SG47C Message was edited by: William O.
10 |5000