question

Elias avatar image
Elias asked ·

Is 2160p video playback available to developers on 2nd-gen Fire TV?

The Media Specifications page for the Fire TV ( https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv/docs/media-playback ) does not seem to have been updated since the new 4K capable Fire TV was released. It still lists "Up to 1080p" under supported media formats with no mention of 2160p or h.265 support. Is 2160p video playback (streamed or local) available to the average developer, or is this reserved for special partners like Netflix? If 2160p video playback is allowed, do we just use the regular [i]VideoView[/i] and [i]MediaCodec[/i] media classes? I ask because I know the 2nd-gen Fire TV needs to perform a resolution change to 2160p30 when it plays 4K video, since the GUI is in 1080p60. Is the resolution change handled by the OS or do developers need to do something special?
fire tv
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

NickG@Amazon avatar image
NickG@Amazon answered ·
Hi, At this time, 2160p output is not available to developers on the 2nd-gen Fire TV. -Nick

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

johnnicholastx avatar image
johnnicholastx answered ·
Is there a timeline for 2160p availability?

NickG@Amazon avatar image
NickG@Amazon answered ·
Hi, There is no update at this time. If there are further updates, I will post them on this thread. -Nick

Alexander K. avatar image
Alexander K. answered ·
Plex had added support for 4K this month. I can understand when Amazon restricts 4K only for its own Prime service and Netflix. But when an app not directly related to Amazon has access to 4K, it looks like an unfair competition in Amazon AppStore...

vulcanman avatar image
vulcanman answered ·
@NickG - your response does not seem to reflect reality. CuriosityStream has a standalone app. About 2 weeks ago, they announced that they were offering a 4K tier of their service for an additional fee. They announced that 4K tier was accessible on Roku 4 and Fire TV 2. I upgraded my account to get access to the 4K videos (similar concept to Netflix). However, the 4K videos would only play in 1080p on the Fire TV 2. So I complained to their Technical Support team. They reached back to say that the issue was with the Fire TV not pushing out 4K stream from the app and they would need to get Amazon to allow that. Within a matter of 48 hours, they were to able to work with Amazon tech support and release a newly compiled version of their app (changed from 1.0.6 -> 1.0.7). The new app now outputs 4K videos fine. A message on the TV indices that UHD Playback is starting. So, in short, it appears that Developers have to reach out to Amazon to get them to enable 4K on a specific app. Please confirm if the above is a correct.

vulcanman avatar image
vulcanman answered ·
> Hi, > > At this time, 2160p output is not available to > developers on the 2nd-gen Fire TV. > > -Nick That is not accurate -- see my earlier post within this same thread.