question

Rodney avatar image
Rodney asked

How do I stop Amazon Alexa from playing my most recently produced 5 Flash Briefings?

I'm a reporter for The Texas Tribune. We recently switched the setting on our Flash Briefings to go daily. We hoped doing so would resolve the issue of several (as many as 5) of our episodes playing back-to-back-to-back before it moves onto the next news outlet. We use Spreaker as our podcasting publisher.

So you know, initially, we were only publishing episodes of 'Texas Tribune Rundown' twice a week (on Tuesdays and Fridays), which didn't jive with either publication options (daily or weekly). So we switched in between the two settings as a way to troubleshoot, but it didn't matter. We got the same result – several episodes playing back-to-back.

Our program's unique ID: Texas Tribune Rundown amzn1.ask.skill.cd14e2ea-ba1d-46f7-a9f4-6591c6f9ad69

Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

Thanks.

flash briefing
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Darin Pope avatar image
Darin Pope answered

As sort of called out in the documentation, up to 5 items will be read/played if they are available in the feed.

If you want only 1 item played/available on a daily basis, you'll have to publish a new feed each day with just that 1 item in the feed.

As best as I can tell, the "hourly/daily/weekly" dropdown in the feed configuration doesn't really do anything. My guess is it is some sort of hint/report item for internal Amazon usage and really doesn't drive anything technical with the flash briefing.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Rodney avatar image
Rodney answered

Thanks, Darin. Please excuse my gross delay in responding. What you suggested worked! Now each day when I publish I set the previous episode in Spreaker to private so Alexa only plays the one I'm scheduling to publish. Unfortunately, it's a manual process. It doesn't seem many, if any, of the platforms – like Spreaker – offer an expiration date feature. Have you heard of any that do? Because if the daily/weekly setting in Alexa skills doesn't do anything, I think the only way to be sure it only plays the current episode is to set the previous one to 'private.'

Thanks again for your help!

1 comment
10 |5000

Doesn't this action affect all the other feeds you are sending too? Google Podcasts should be able to list all your recent sessions. I think doing anything to fit Alexa is a bad idea as other platforms use the RSS feed. yes? no?
0 Likes 0 ·
Darin Pope avatar image
Darin Pope answered

At this point, I haven't found any services that offer expiration, but I will let you know if I do run across any that do.

10 |5000

Rodney avatar image
Rodney answered

Thanks, Darin. I'm surprised none have that feature or that the 'daily' option through Amazon doesn't render the previous episode dormant when a new one publishes.

1 comment
10 |5000

this is my current problem. I am manually staying up past midnight to delist the old segment. This is not automated at all. My sleep is interrupted and this will not end well... ugh

0 Likes 0 ·