question

IvoryTowersApparel avatar image
IvoryTowersApparel asked

Just got my first rejected design, Flagged as copyright/trademark, but its original work?

Heya Everyone, I need some help understanding this, I don't want to run into any issues with Amazon especially considering the difficulty of getting into Merch in the 1st place!. So I was submitted a T shirt design, and It got rejected saying that it was appearing to violate copyright/trademark. However its original work and looks nothing like the 2 other shirts on amazon currently.

While the text of the shirt is the same, there are thousands of shirts that also currently have the same quotes, sayings, etc with sometimes VERY slightly different fonts etc. I mean just check out the coke shirts, I love my cat/dog/son/daughter/dad/mom shirts etc. Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be that I needed to word the product line in the ad differently? Any insight you merch Veterans or Amazon staff could provide would be awesome. Thanks so much everyone!

Also, The text was "My Gun Fu Is Strong" and it is not currently (as of Right now! lol) trademarked

merch by amazonhelpcopyrightnew products
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ramen Noodles avatar image
Ramen Noodles answered

It's most likely something in your keywords and not the artwork itself.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

TEES avatar image
TEES answered

If anything don't put keywords or description. Make title simple, searchable and unique.

Chris avatar image
Chris answered

Greetings Ivory Towers, You're doing the right thing in trying to verify what the issue is. It's probably something in the listing text. Do a trademark search on all the text you used in the listing: title, brand, bullets, etc. Be sure to steer clear of anything like brand names, movies, TV shows, character names, book titles, bands, sport teams, people names, trademarks, etc. And finally, be sure to email support to ask why it was rejected, sometimes the response can help pinpoint the issue. Support email: merch-sellers-contactus@amazon.com

Stratovarious avatar image
Stratovarious answered

Tees , could you please elaborate; What do you mean by; "don't put keyords or description" And would you give an example or two of how it might list 'better' , I'm brand new .... *The blue button on the bottom says 'post your answer' , are we not supposed to add comments or questions?

ScottFromWyoming avatar image
ScottFromWyoming answered

DO NOT fall into the trap of thinking, "everybody else does it, why can't I?" You don't know the circumstances around other shirts on Amazon. They may be licensed. They may have used slightly different text or design that does not infringe on a TM. Or they may be in violation but haven't been caught yet. One rejection is not bad. Repeatedly attempting to get the same violation approved seems terribly risky. Find out exactly what the problem is, fix it, or move on. Don't bother getting into an argument with the Merch people, unless the design is already making you money, your time is better spent coming up with a new idea.

TEES avatar image
TEES answered

Just place a creative title. Maybe your keywords and or description has an issue on being familiar with another brand. (If it's not the design)

IvoryTowersApparel answered

AH! I think you hit the nail on the head Chris. In describing what Gun Fu is, which isnt trademarked I mentioned that it was for fans of like The Matrix, John Wick and Equilibrium in the bullet points trying to describe what Gun Fu is for the non initiated lol. I didnt think simply mentioning the word would be enough to cause trouble. Should I be safe if I said for fans of Action movies and Sci-fi etc to that effect not mentioning specifics?

And you are absolutely right Scott, thats what I said when I reached out to them. Im not looking for an argument, Im not attached to any one design but I wanted to be proactive in making sure I dont become a constant reoffender lol.

Tees, do your sales suffer in leaving off keywords?

You guys are the best, thanks!

1 comment

> Should I be safe if I said for fans of Action movies and Sci-fi etc to that effect not mentioning specifics?... I have not used those phrases myself, but on the surface they seem safe. Be sure to trademark check listings before uploading. Glad you found the culprit!

0 Likes 0 ·
IvoryTowersApparel answered

Update: That is exactly what the issue was, Mentioning John Wick and the Matrix etc is what got my stuff rejected. I have since cut it all out and the design got approved. Thank you so much for your help everyone!