question

onenuthin avatar image
onenuthin asked

Can AVS do app commands?

I have a question about the capabilities of the Alexa Voice Service that I'm not able to answer by looking thru the documentation. Is it possible to use AVS to drive controls within an AVS app? All of the examples I'm seeing are things where Alexa responds by voice to answer something. I want to know if I can use Alexa Voice to process voice commands from users of my app. For example, to handle user inputs like: "show me the blaster control panel", "adjust strength setting to level 6", "rotate the view 90 degrees to the left". So is it possible to use AVS to handle voice inputs like that, that result in a programmatic change within the app, instead of a vocal response? Thanks for any help - I'm excited to start using AVS, but want to know if I'm understanding the capabilities correctly.
alexa voice service
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Eric@Amazon avatar image
Eric@Amazon answered
What you're describing could potentially be done using the Alexa Skills Kit. Skills are the mechanism to enhance Alexa's capabilities. See the diagram on this page: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/getting-started-guide I believe you have to return a vocal response, but your own web service can do whatever it wants with "rotate the view X degrees to the left" (Where X is filled in by the user's voice)

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

onenuthin avatar image
onenuthin answered
But is my question outside of the normal usage expected with AVS? I'm trying to understand if this is all designed to be used with "speaking back" experiences or is AVS expected to be used for handling voice commands in third-party apps, with no interaction with Echo etc?

Eric@Amazon avatar image
Eric@Amazon answered
AVS is currently designed more as a "speaking back" platform. As I mentioned in my previous post, it is possible to get the behavior you desire with a combination of AVS and a skill, but you are correct that it's a little outside of the expected use case. Your question is a popular one though! I'll make sure that the platform team knows of your interest in custom commands/directives to control your app/device.

newuser-4b19c187-1329-4a4a-ab09-5362bfb3bafd avatar image
newuser-4b19c187-1329-4a4a-ab09-5362bfb3bafd answered

I asked a similar question here:

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/46874/use-echodot-to-control-net-application.html

I just want to use an Echo Dot as as "always-on" microphone to get user input & pass it to an application ... I dont need any response back from Alexa or any speech output from Echo. I basically just want to use it for the speech recognition. Please consider this a feature request.