question

Vipin Gahlaut avatar image
Vipin Gahlaut asked

Alexa "ReportState" " doesnt support that" Error

Hi,

I have implemented Smart Home Skill (payload v3) to turn ON/OFF a switch and to retrieve state of the switch. While Turn ON/OFF works fine, I am not able to retrieve the switch state.

In the discovery response I return,

"proactivelyReported": false,
"retrievable": true

This have effect in Alexa App as I can check the correct status of this switch and my lambda function is invoked with ReportState directive.

However when I say

"Alexa, Is my <Switch Name> turned on"

Alexa Reply with response "<Switch Name> doesnt support that" and my lambda function is not invoked with the ReportState directive

alexa skills kitalexa smart home
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

KAIYIN@AMAZON.COM avatar image
KAIYIN@AMAZON.COM answered

The "Is my <device name> turned on" might not be a valid sample utterance, here is a reference to the sample utterances that we supported. https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/archive/shv2-smart-home-skill-api-reference

2 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The link goes to a Page Not Found error.

Additionally, it appears to be referring to what may have been V2 stuff.

The question here is about V3 API.

0 Likes 0 ·

@PopSharma just copy the link manually then it works.

But you are right. The question is about v3 Api.

0 Likes 0 ·
curiousfly avatar image
curiousfly answered

I'm having the same issue. Does Alexa support this.?

10 |5000

Bjoern avatar image
Bjoern answered

My personal experience with that: It's not supported by any Alexa "speach" device. You can see the state only within the Alexa App.

10 |5000

Chris avatar image
Chris answered

For what is worth it definitely seems like this isn't supported, even though I certainly wish it was.

And for the record I too am using V3 of the API. Note I'm trying to get this on Echo dots.

10 |5000

Chris avatar image
Chris answered

For what it is worth, this is now supported. You can ask "Alexa is the bedroom light on?". Or for cases where window/door contacts are supported you can ask "Alexa is the bedroom window open?".

10 |5000