question

Amit Gangwar avatar image
Amit Gangwar asked ·

AVS + Alexa skill without using "ask" key word

I was able to run the sample program for AVS. My question is how do I make Alexa skill which I can call from AVS but not need the "ask" word. eg. Alexa ask "mySkill" for directions to elevator. I would like to frame the above as Alexa , please give directions to elevator. Since I am using AVS and I always call the same skill then there should be some way to not have "ask" as keyword to use a skill. I also want Alexa to only respond if "mySkill" responds else say it did not understand or its not able to find the directions. Please help. I am new to this and trying to figure out the best way to use AVS and Alexa skills
alexa voice service
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

elstryan@Amazon avatar image
elstryan@Amazon answered ·
Hi Amit, Thank you for your interest in AVS but your request is not currently a supported use case. As jiaquinta mentioned AVS is a gateway to Alexa so the behavior follows the user experience on the Echo and other Amazon devices. Today in AVS in order to invoke a skill you must use: "Alexa ask mySkill". Also there is no way to restrict Alexa's responses to only your skill.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jjaquinta avatar image
jjaquinta answered ·
I don't think you can do this. How the stuff works is part of the Alexa system, which is what AVS is the gateway too. But you might try asking on the AVS forum. (This is the ASK forum.)

Will Blaschko avatar image
Will Blaschko answered ·
Amit, Long story short, the way you do this is by pre-pending an audio clip that says: "Ask XXX to" to the request sent by your user. So it becomes "Ask XXX to" + "order a large pepperoni pizza." I cover a little bit on adding context like that here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/adding-context-alexa-will-blaschko-ma