question

menuecho avatar image
menuecho asked

Discovery and Reachability

How often will the discovery be called ? can we schedule it? When the [b]device is added to cloud[/b]. How should we notify that [b] discovery has to be done again.[/b]? While Discovery a device [b] may be reachable and after some time [/b] the device might not be reachable now is that to be changed ? can we send the update of the device data when we respond to turn on or off the device with its new info for that same device?

alexaalexa smart home
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

H. Jones avatar image
H. Jones answered
I believe the discovery can only be manually performed by the user. Why would you ever need to do it automatically w/o the user's consent? I guess it might make the device on-boarding smoother but it seems pretty easy to say: "Ok, when you are done say "Alexa, discover my devices". Do you have a different use case?
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

menuecho avatar image
menuecho answered
Im assuming by this we don't have any mechanism. But in the home automation system like for example when people add a device their home automation hub and we tell them that now the hub works with alexa. They would assume any device added, will be discovered. So people have to do two things add a device and also tell alexa to discover. Ofcourse when people remember their device and they don't see it. They will do a discovery.
10 |5000

JonW avatar image
JonW answered

I log all Alexa requests on my own server and I see Alexa performing a discovery every 60-80 minutes. This re-quering only starts after a successful manual discovery.

10 |5000