Idea

newuser-968ec2b7-2b2f-458c-8a02-1771408fdd46 avatar image

Tiering and subjectivity

The FAQs indicate that tiering up is not just based on volume of sales but also the quality of the products being sold. The challenge for us designers is 'what is quality', it's such a subjective attribute. If we're not tiering up despite volume of tees having exceeded the next tier's criteria... is it because the MBA team are just log-jammed with work, or is it because our tees are not of good enough quality?

It could be useful if the FAQ's give some more guidelines on what 'quality' is? Must there be a certain level of artistic quality, or are innovative phrases and sayings sufficient (on pure text tees) too? What if we take an existing phrase and graphic niche ... but drastically improve that graphic (i.e. if there are tees with a certain phrase and a 'patchy' image of a dog beside it.... surely the same phrase with a much better quality dog (and perhaps more fitting image interpretation) graphic is a 'quality' evolution of the artistry of that niche?

If tee designers have exceeded in volume, not just their next tier, but the tier AFTER that too (not me, but many have)... but still not been tiered up... perhaps they can be prioritized for some sort of critique from the BMA team?

merch by amazon
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Designerjon avatar image
Designerjon commented

The tier up system is a little hit and miss but have you thought that the quality perspective is based on the ratio of shirts selling alongside the amount of live shirts? Someone at say tier 25 with 800 shirts sales, but only 2 of their 25 designs are selling, is not upgraded, whereas someone at tier 25 with 100 sales, but 15 of their 25 live designs are selling is upgraded. The ratio of selling shirts to live shirts is higher so the overall design quality of more shirts is perceived as higher. . . . . .just a thought.

5 comments

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Makes sense.I was at tier 25 with 15 designs live/sold. I was tiered up two weeks ago.

I always think that if I were adept at social media marketing or affiliate marketing, I could upload a run-of-the-mill design and still get hundreds of sales for that one design. Perhaps the decision makers DO take this into account and literally judge whether a designer is producing "quality" designs.

1 Like 1 ·

Jon, I think you're on to something because it's consistent with my experience. I'm at tier 25 and back in December they turned my publishing back on. I had 25 shirts and two went bananas with sales and they're still selling. But the other ones have been very modest in sales. I'm sure they took into account that the quality is there, I just haven't hit that sweet spot of what customers want and the fact that it's slow t-shirt season. They probably don't want to flood the market with more shirts from tiering and turning on publishing because it's winter. I'm just guessing! I think we're all going to be very happy in the Spring when sales start to boom.

1 Like 1 ·

That has occurred to me. It would be useful if this was clarified in the FAQ's (and with some detail... for instance is there a threshold to the volume of sales 'quality'? Is 1 sale a month from a tee good enough? (I would imagine that 'quality' measured by % of live Tees with at least one sale in a month could hamper those that focus on seasonal offerings). Of course... all this is very much conjecture.

0 Likes 0 ·

I'm not sure about this one. I'm in 25 with 17 'live/sold' shirts and still nothing after months over the 25 sales threshold and 150+ total sales.

0 Likes 0 ·
T-Shirt Design Fan avatar image T-Shirt Design Fan newuser-c60b0ad2-5d51-4e50-a6e0-24f71d0d9a29 ·

Yes there are several people with 1000+ sold and still on 25 tier.

0 Likes 0 ·
T-Shirt Design Fan avatar image
T-Shirt Design Fan commented

That's what I thought too (regarding percentage that sell) but I would estimate I have uploaded about 15-18 shirts that have sold quite a bit. This Valentine's Day alone I have a few shirts that have sold close to 100 each in addition to several others that have sold 50-100 and I'm still at 25 tier.

So I am definitely selling a variety of shirts and have quite a few that are doing well. I know of several others in the same boat though.

Meanwhile I know a woman who only had 2 good sellers out of 25 and got tiered up to 100 after selling only 50 total.

So it's definitely hit or miss but perhaps they just don't think my original designs are great. Oh well, nothing I can do but keep going and wait it out. :-)

Snowy Sunshine avatar image
Snowy Sunshine commented

I'm curious about this as well. I've sold over 100 shirts on about 15 designs. When I first started I sold a bunch on a holiday design, then (regretfully) deleted that design to make room for more since I'm only on 25. I thought I'd for sure be tiered up this last round but every day I check it's still 25.

newuser-4407aac7-42f2-42e7-b8cb-811a2faab505 avatar image
newuser-4407aac7-42f2-42e7-b8cb-811a2faab505 commented

Im curious why anyone would be Tiered up when there are a VAST number of account that still CANT upload ANY designs.

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.