Idea

M avatar image
M suggested

Cancel 60-Day Design Deletion Policy Until Existing BUGS Are Fully Fixed

Merch By Amazon has today announced that from November 15th all designs that have not made at least one un-returned sale within 60-days will be summarily deleted. My "Feature Request" would be for Amazon to POSTPONE this change until such time as they have properly fixed various bugs on the platform that directly affect sales, including: 1) Fix the ongoing issue of new or amended listings getting stuck as "Processing" or "Started Processing" 2) Fix the ongoing issue of new or amended listings being given incorrect prices that are up to 200% of the price selected by the account/seller making the listing 3) Fix the ongoing issue of Merch By Amazon listings not showing in Amazon "search results" for 'Boys', or 'Girls' departments, and also not showing when a 'Color' search filter is selected 4) Fix the ongoing issue of Merch listings showing up multiple times and clogging up search results with 1 result for every size/color/style that make up what should be a single listing 5) Remove the thousands of designs which are intentionally and blatantly breaching Merch by Amazon's terms of service i.e. circumventing Trademarks with apos-trop-hes, using swear words, designs based on human suffering and natural distasters etc. THEN once those have been sorted re-introduce this policy but do so AFTER the busy Quarter-4 period and, at least initially, amend the policy to be 90-days instead of 60:

AND consider some way to specifically flag "Holiday" or "Seasonal" designs when they are being listed such that those designs will then go through a 'human' review process and if it is deemed by Amazon staff that they genuinely are Holiday/Seasonal appropriate they retain that tag and are excluded from the auto-deletion process for 1-year instead of 60/90-days etc.

merch by amazonpolicy update
3 comments
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

It might be good before killing new designer’s morale completely to try and fix all the processing bug delays, that will calculate w/ the clock ticking fast against us now, thievery problems, etc. and create a more contemporary means of communication? Instead of treating people like IT tickets reporting issues on a faulty pc via email ticket. Making a sweeping change arbitrarily on a limited timeframe before threatening to delete designs we work very hard at. Where is the incentive to market our listings and backlink to them when they will be deleted in such a short amount of time? Is it right or even fair that pricing still has a bug in it showing potential customers astronomical prices on of designs that we never wanted priced at? Fix the problems before punishing the new people and everyone else AZ.

0 Likes 0 ·

The 60-day count doesn't start until a t-shirt goes live, so the processing and started processing bugs really aren't a big issue here.

0 Likes 0 ·

@John Adams Any time I edit a published listing-it goes back into this awesome review process. It gets stuck. It gets stuck for days now. Others have cited longer and are now getting their accounts deleted for not removing published products that they were told to remove. How can they when they are stuck in processing? And yes the clock is ticking against your initial publishing date now with the wonderful new 60 Day Deletion set up! Bugs ARE the issue here and there are many and they are a major issue. You said it - " What's going on with Merch by Amazon? "

It is a negative thing to view in your face now to open up the dashboard and see all of your designs set for deletion. Great job.

0 Likes 0 ·
Amazon Warrior avatar image
Amazon Warrior commented

Make it 180 days and I vote it up

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Amazon customer avatar image
Amazon customer commented

I would add that Amazon needs to find a way to let us know why returns occur. Since a return would DIRECTLY AFFECT a design's life in the marketplace, we NEED TO KNOW why it was returned. 99% of returns are size or print related, which is no fault of the content creator.

2 comments

Yeah I recently saw a post on Facebook where someone received a completely blank shirt after ordering from a Merch listing - I'd hope that's a rare occurrence, but certainly not something that the seller can control

0 Likes 0 ·

We really don't need to know why. What we need is for any negative comments that state a size issue or a damaged/incomplete shirt design, is NOT publicly posted and does NOT count against rank. When a negative review happens, customers read them, and it deters sales. That's what will really affect this 60 day thing.

0 Likes 0 ·
GC_T avatar image
GC_T commented

I do concur. 90 days instead of 60 at least.

Also what if a return is because of issues we can't control as designers? Eg sizing, damaged items etc

Mike avatar image
Mike commented

I'm good with 60, so long as we're all on the same playing field. I doubt Amazon would make this move if they didn't think it was going to make the program run more smoothly. I don't think this policy will at all affect the update that was made yesterday regarding the attempt to eliminate designs that circumvent copyrights by hyphenating words, or getting rid of "blurry" (read: CopyCat) images. These two updates are mutually exclusive. They can be done simultaneously. Hopefully Amazon will spend some time cleaning out the system, and once things are running smoothly they'll throw us a bone by releasing more apparel options. It's just a change, we'll all learn to live with it.

5 comments

I would prefer more than 60, to allow time to get listings up some time before events.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike avatar image Mike newuser-6ef344f8-0c5c-4226-8e11-81f19852d1d3 ·

Again, so long as we're all on the same playing field, it shouldn't matter the time frame they choose. It'll take some planning and might really work to the advantage of the people that are better organized. If you get your Halloween designs up at the right time, and I'm not working as smart as you are, I'll get left behind.

0 Likes 0 ·

But @Mike we're NOT all on the same playing field. They still haven't sorted out bugs that are up to a year old, let alone the newer ones that are "only" a few months old - and they haven't dealt with removing all of the copycat/stolen 100% copied designs, infringing des-igns wit-h apost-rophes, swear words, human tragedy designs, etc etc, and they have in fact in the past said it can "take quite a while" to deal with these kinds of issues. So unless those problems are all resolved in the next 3-weeks we're not going to be on the same playing field at all, unfortunately :(

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Are you the developer?

0 Likes 0 ·
Sea2Skye avatar image
Sea2Skye commented

i agree but make the timeframe 180 days.

Ken Reil avatar image
Ken Reil commented

Nope it is good as it is. Don't support this.

1 comment

None of this is good for the designer.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hicham avatar image
Hicham commented

i think it's good for copy cats who price shirts with 10.99

L. Frase avatar image
L. Frase commented

I agree that all of these issues should be resolved asap. I would like to see the new policy delayed until February 1st, and the timeframe changed to 120 days. I am not opposed to the concept, but I would like to see how shirts perform during Q4 before this policy is implemented. I would like to see a work around to give holiday shirts a full season before they are culled out. I would also like to see a total shirts sold for each shirt design column added to the Manage tab immediately. I would also like a form created specifically for Merch to report copycats, and trademark / copyright, and Amazon TOS violations. If we see a blatant violation, even if we are not the owner of the intellectual property, we should be able to flag them for the Merch team to review and assess. Merch needs their own team in place to do this work. Perhaps you could hire some part time folks to do this work from home? I'm available (wink, wink).

1 comment

100% agree. Give us Q4 and let us see which are duds. A lot of good stuff sells during Q4 due to rise in shopping, more rush of people coming on and so on.

0 Likes 0 ·
MikeL avatar image
MikeL commented

I would also add requirement to give a reason by which the certain t shirt was declined from being listed Is it a wording or copyrighted image, or copyrighted words or anything else

1 comment

You can e-mail them to ask for that info - and pretty sure there's a separate feature request forum entry asking for them to include the reason for rejection in the e-mail they send out :)

0 Likes 0 ·
M avatar image
M commented

Given the brand new obviously infringing shirts that are being approved it looks like there's no likelihood of a level playing field for all if as seems likely that they ignore concerns about this being brought it before other things have been sorted! :(

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.