Idea

Digiholic avatar image
Digiholic suggested

Chris Green... this idea is for you...

Chris Green... at some point along the way you asked how you could help us... not in those exact terms. I have an idea. If you can create a list of top sellers on Merch, then you should be able to create a list of ALL other websites that are selling our designs - whether it be by exact title or the same .jpg image. It would really be nice if we could run this in batch, for example if we could enter all of our titles or image names, etc. It sure would save us a lot of time chasing down the copycats.

Whataya say? Think you can help us?

merch by amazon
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Chris Green avatar image
Chris Green commented

Always happy to help out where I can. These are two very different searches, though.

One is searching all of Amazon which is pretty easy to do. The other involves searching the entire internet, or at least a large group of websites. I have heard of people using http://www.tineye.com as a type of reverse image search. So if your images come up there, you'd know where they are.

If my images were being used on the same sites over and over, I would spend more time focused on those particular sites vs. searching to the ends of the internet 'just in case' someone might be using them. I totally understand that no one wants their images used on ANY site without their consent, but if you can't find them with active searches then it's very unlikely that customers are somehow finding them and also buying them. I would always focus on efforts against sites that would result in loss of sales. Hope this site helps. Maybe this is an idea for someone to start a business monitoring the internet for copies. Members submit their images and automated image searches are done.

1 comment

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I really thought if anyone could do it, you could.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Likes 0 ·
Chris Green avatar image
Chris Green commented

Maybe other forum members here could share their best methods of checking other sites, or the internet in general, for copies. See how to help each other streamline their searches.

Kristi avatar image
Kristi commented

There are some services out there that will monitor your images for you and they will find them and even send take down notices for you. One of them is pixy.com I can try to find more of them, but that one is one that I have seen recommended for some time.

1 comment

Kristi, when I go to pixy.com I see nothing. Any suggestions?

0 Likes 0 ·
M avatar image
M commented

Given that the vast majority of the stolen designs sites are being run on either the Shopify platform or the GearLaunch platform then perhaps a good way to narrow the search would be to find an easy way to identify all Shopify or GearLaunch run domains, and then image search within them. (I was just passing, please ignore me if it sounds stupid!) :)

Chris Green avatar image
Chris Green commented

That's a good idea and actually pretty easy because all Shopify sites likely have similar HTML or text copy somewhere.

1 comment

actually yeah, most, if not all, of the GearLaunch sites use the exact same copy/pasted 'terms of use' page, same is probably true for Shopify ones

0 Likes 0 ·
L. Frase avatar image
L. Frase commented

I don't know how all of the techno mumbo jumbo works, but if we know that copycats / thieves have to upload designs after the orginal is uploaded, is there a way to sort the originals from the copycats, or is that way too complicated? If possible, then maybe that would be a way to put an end to the copycatters. It would certainly take someone who knows their way around programming I guess. Just a thought...

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.