Idea

Amy avatar image
Amy suggested

Lock down T-Shirt Brand

Currently, anyone can hop onto an existing brand -- this usually occurs with the pixel by pixel copycats or others trying to hop onto a best selling T-shirt brand to reap the rewards and efforts of brand creator.

Its like Under Armour trying to hop onto Nike's website

Provide us with the ability to lock in a brand associated with our account...basically, If I start a brand today for the set of shirts I created named: "Leia is awesome" for one set shirts and "Cats Pajamas" for another...other sellers will be blocked from hopping onto those brands as I have officially claimed them.

This will likely reduce the amount of "lazy" copycats who copy everything verbatum, resulting in less time away from designing for Designers and less time spent removing for the Copyright team

Thanks

merch by amazoncopyright
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Amazon Customer avatar image
Amazon Customer commented

I agree with this as well. But I would like to add that it is not EVERY time that they are doing it to steal someones thunder as i have accidentally done it.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

TanTan avatar image
TanTan commented

yes, i also agree

Pratik avatar image
Pratik commented

It is a good suggestion but this has to come with extreme care. I started with Merch building brands and it was going very well. But on the middle of the road, I had to disintegrate them and associate each t-shirt with their own brand name like "funny dog t-shirts" and so on to prevent copycats discovering entire fleet of my works and creations.

This can be misused by many and that is why I said care needs to be taken.

My views personally are that focus first on getting copycats removed. Once that problem eases a bit, we can all think about building a brand rather than using generic brand names without worrying about copycats. :-)

MrApo avatar image
MrApo commented

This must have some limitations, like 10 brand name per acc. If there is no limitations, people will just generate every single brand name possible and block newcomers, from having any brand name (or force them to generate "yrutgvjfu65hgcy" brand).

1 comment

this can cause your designs to be more vulnerable by the thieves, I rarely use brand because I don't want all of my designs to be stolen.

0 Likes 0 ·
M avatar image
M commented

Yes if there is to be a "protection" of so-called Brand Names then each Merch account should be restricted to no more than something like 5 'brands' - Using OP's example: Yes you don't want to encourage Under Armor from advertising items as Nike, but you also would not expect to see Nike selling their products under the "brand" names of 'funny shirts' 'comfy trainers' 'just doing it' 'great stuff for you to buy' etc etc, a "BRAND" is exactly that, it is not a way of getting search results by including additional words or for splitting up your 'brand' into multiple 'brands' - I would imagine that this kind of change would need to be accompanied by a stricter and much faster response to pixel-for-pixel copy listings

1 comment

I'd like to point out that one of the reasons we add these keywords to our brands is because we don't have the option to add additional keyword fields like an FBA seller does. For all we know, big brand like Nike could be using 'funny shirts', 'comfy trainers', or any of the other keywords that we use on their back end. In all honesty, they most probably are. (That have the resources to hire optimization experts and are tracking their customers search data with cookies.)

In light of that, it'd be nice if we had those optimization options too. That would help us with brand name creation...

0 Likes 0 ·
ne avatar image
ne commented

I am in agreement that they need to lock down brand names and limit how many each account can have. But a concern is since they did not do this from the very beginning how would they handle claims to a single brand name that many people are already using? And how would they make it easy for those who have thousands of different brand names to consolidate them into their new 5-10 brand names? It's very desired but probably not an easy fix at this point.

Amazon Customer avatar image
Amazon Customer commented

I think they should allow only personal brand name and not generic niche names as brand

James avatar image
James commented

The brand name system are reaaaaaally annoying

ESMedia24 avatar image
ESMedia24 commented

I second that. Amazon should make it impossible for different sellers to have the same brand names.

bearcebrothers avatar image
bearcebrothers commented

copycats would LOVE the brand locking, then they wouldn't have a bunch of tees to copy once they found just one good seller. The brand thing can't be limited until the copycat issue is dealt with.

1 comment

This is also a problem. Unless Amazon does something to combat the wider problem, locking merch sellers to a limited number of "brands" means the copycats can easily and quickly find all your items.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.