article

Taira@Amazon avatar image
Taira@Amazon Posted · · edited ·

Tips for a Successful Alexa Skill Certification: Refund or Cancellation Information for an ISP

All monetized skills should allow for customers to cancel or refund their purchases. To support cancellation or refund requests, you should build a custom intent to support a refund/cancellation request and add code to handle the custom intent, which starts a cancellation flow by sending a directive. Please take a look at the Handle a refund or cancel request section of our in-skill purchasing (ISP) documentation for an easy reference on how to implement this feature.

Check out the following examples to get a better idea of how these cancellations/refund requests should flow within your skills responses:

Good example (modal)
Customer: Alexa, open Space Facts.
Alexa: Welcome to the Space Facts skill. You currently own 〇〇 pack. To hear a 〇〇 fact, say "Tell me a 〇〇 fact."
Customer: Cancel 〇〇 pack.
Alexa: For a refund, checkout the link I sent to your Alexa app. You have successfully cancelled the 〇〇 Pack. Can I tell you another fact?

Good example (one-shot)
Customer: Alexa, open Space Facts and cancel 〇〇 pack.
Alexa: For a refund, checkout the link I sent to your Alexa app. You have successfully cancelled the 〇〇 Pack. Can I tell you another fact?

Bad example (one-shot)
Customer: Alexa, open Space Facts and cancel 〇〇 pack
Alexa: For a refund, checkout the link I sent to your Alexa app. You have successfully cancelled subscription. Can I tell you another fact?

In the bad example (one-shot) above, even though the user was able to successfully cancel the purchased product of the skill, the skill’s response included the word "subscription", which is irrelevant. To fix this, you should change "subscription" to "product" or to the product name itself ("〇〇 Pack") for better customer experience.

Bad example (one-shot)
Customer: Alexa, open Space Facts and cancel 〇〇 pack.
Alexa: Sorry I cannot give you a refund. Please contact Amazon customer service.

In this bad example (one-shot), the skill doesn’t actually let the user refund the product within the flow. You should ensure that the skill provides a link in the home card that allows the user to do this and asks them to navigate to that card to complete it.

More Resources:

certificationispcancel
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Article

Contributors

Taira@Amazo contributed to this article