article

Taira@Amazon avatar image
Taira@Amazon Posted · · edited ·

Tips for a Successful Alexa Skill Certification: Help Prompt

In order to give customers a more positive experience, it’s important for your Alexa skill to have a proper help prompt. Help prompts should return a response that instructs users on how to navigate further into the skill’s core functionality, and they should keep the session open for a customer’s reply.

Good Example
Customer: Alexa, Open Space Facts.
Alexa: Welcome to the Space Facts skill. You can say ‘tell me a space fact’ or ask for ‘help’.
Customer: Help
Alexa: You can say ‘tell me a space fact’, or you can say ‘exit’... What can I help you with? <Session Remains Open>

Bad Example
Customer: Alexa, Open Space Facts.
Alexa: Welcome to the Space Facts skill. You can say ‘tell me a space fact’ or ask for ‘help’.
Customer: Help
Alexa: You can say ‘hello’ to me. <Session Closes>

Please ensure that the help prompt instructs users about the skill's functionality. Also, it should end with a question or statement prompting the user to respond within an open session.

Here is a good example of a skill’s JSON response:

{
   "body": {
      "version": "1.0",
      "response": {
         "outputSpeech": {
            "type": "SSML",
            "ssml": "<speak>You can say tell me a space fact, or, you can say exit... 
                     What can I help you with? </speak>"
         },
         "shouldEndSession": false
      }
   }
}

Helpful Resource:
https://forums.developer.amazon.com/articles/50203/test-case-41-session-remains-open-with-no-prompt-t.html

alexa skills kithelpcertificationtips
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Article

Contributors

Taira@Amazo contributed to this article