As a developer or a beta tester, you have the option to test skills that are still in the development stage. During your testing, you can find a development skill in your Alexa app listed under “Skills & Games” > “Your Skills” > “Dev”. If you can not find the dev skill in Alexa app, there are a few possible causes. Take a look at the options below to help resolve this:
1: Ensure the skill is enabled in the Developer Console
In order to enable a skill for testing, as the skill’s developer you will need to do the following:
- Navigate to your skill within the Developer Console
- Click on the “Test” tab
- In the drop-down menu in the upper-left corner, select “Development” instead of “Off”
2: Check whether the language of your device matches any available skill language version
In order to be able to interact with a skill, the marketplace of your Alexa app must map to an existing language version of the skill. Please note that Alexa would consider "English (US)" to be separate from "English (UK)". You can find which marketplace you are associated with by following the steps below:
- Open the Alexa app
- Tap the "hamburger" menu in the upper-left corner (three horizontal lines)
- Tap "Settings"
- Scroll down and tap "About"
- Under "Host Name", you'll see a value like "alexa.amazon.com", "alexa.amazon.co.uk", etc.
- Refer to the chart below to determine which skill language version your account can interact with:
If your account is associated with an Alexa language version that the skill does not support, and if you are the skill’s developer, the simplest solution would be to add that language to your skill. Take a look at the Add a Language to an Existing Skill documentation and Skill Beta Testing for Alexa Skills documentation for more information. If you are not the skill’s developer, please reach out to your beta test administrator for assistance.
3: Verify you are logged in to the correct Developer Account
Amazon developer account owners have the ability to invite additional users to their accounts. If you were previously invited to collaborate with another developer, it's possible that you're looking at that developer's account instead. To check this, follow these steps:
- Log into your Alexa Developer Console
- In the upper-right corner, click on the circular button that shows your initials or your business' initials
- Hover your mouse over "Change User"Note: If you do not see this "Change User" option, then you have not been added to another account.